The PERFECT October cupcake - light soft and fluffy apple sponge, vanilla icing and of course a drizzle of sticky toffee sauce.
All the joys of a toffee apple without breaking your teeth!
125g unsalted butter or baking spread
200g soft brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons of plain yoghurt
1 large eating apple peeled and finely grated.
350g icing sugar
175g softened unsalted butter or baking spread
2 tablespoon milk
¼ tsp vanilla extract
Toffee/caramel sauce for drizzling
1. Cream the butter and sugar together till its light and fluffy ( this is best done using an electric mixer if you have one) then add in the vanilla extract.
2. Mix in the eggs one by one till everything is well incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl sift together the self-raising flour, baking powder and ground cinnamon, and then fold into the mixture.
4. Add in the yoghurt and mix in then finally stir in the grated apple.
5. Divide between 12 cupcake cases – ideally you want them no more full than ¾ of the way up so they don’t overflow, you may have a bit of mixture leftover, if so , just make some extras.
6. Bake for approx. 20-25 minutes, you will know they’re done because an inserted skewer will come out clean.
7. Once cool make the buttercream by beating the butter till it goes light and fluffy, then adding the vanilla and milk, finally tip in the icing sugar bit by bit and beat until smooth, if your mixture is too running then add some extra icing sugar and If its too still to pipe then add more milk at a ½ teaspoon at a time (a little goes a long way)
8. Ice your cakes as you wish and drizzle over toffee sauce