Gigantes plaki - Giant butterbeans.
Rich and satisfying, super healthy and full of goodness, delicious hot, or warm, as a side or as a main meal on their own. Vegetarian and vegan, this dish really is a winner!
This dish is cooked in a delicious tomato sauce until the beans absorb all the juices and flavour. It can be cooked in advanced and it only improves with time. Leftovers keep really well, so its a brilliant make a ahead dish for the next day or evening, but its so quick to make, that it works for a quick evening tea too.
Prep Time : 15 minutes preparing plus 15 minutes simmer time.
Serves : 2
Difficulty : Easy Peasy
1 400g tin butter-beans in water
1/2 Onion chopped
1/2 Carrot chopped
1/2 Celery chopped
1 teaspoon tomato puree
1 200g tin chopped tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
A handful fresh chopped parsley
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Salt and pepper
1. In a saucepan fry off the onion, carrot and celery for a few minutes until the onion starts to go translucent.
2. Add in the tomato puree and stir well, then add the butter-beans, including the water from the tin, and warm through.
3. Add the cinnamon and half of the parsley.
4. Dissolve the stock cube in 1/2 cup of boiling water and pour in, then add salt and pepper to taste, along with the juice of half a lemon - make sure you add the stock before the salt as the stock will have salt already in it, and you don't want to over salt.
5. Simmer for 15 minutes and top with the rest of the chopped parsley before serving.
Yep - its that easy!
A note -
This dish is perfect with seafood, such as prawns or fish.
It works well topped with a bit of salty feta.
Always serve it with a nice rustic warm bread - perfect for mopping up with.